Double standards and (I can almost feel it coming) Liberty
The stars didn't fall today; Monday, November 12
I had my Korean final exam this morning. Considering how I started studying for it at only 6 a.m. just now and only did so for 30 minutes... I think I'll managed to pass. Hahaha! I kinda screwed up my oral test the other day too but at least I didn't come out crying like the girl before me so..
Anyway, I saw a post on FB today. Someone posted something like "To those who think that Muslims should not eat McD because it's affiliated to the Jews, then they should not use FB and Mac products as well (Google, too, actually!). To those who don't go to Starbucks because it's not halal-certifed, then they should not go to the coffeeshops and order kopi from the Chinese uncle." (Bracketed stuff belongs to me)
I can't be assed with the first part, but the second one stabbed me deep down in my kokoro, man! Guess what I was doing? I have just bought a cup of kopi from the school canteen and was sipping it as I scrolled through FB on my phone. Dayyyum. I was also reminded about my post a few months back about halal-certified products and (was that here or in heymaryam? Oh well.) look at me, sipping kopi from the Chinese ah pek. Talk about double standards!
Well, not really. I DID say I was gonna try eating things that are only properly certified but then again, it's really up to each individual to assess what's good for him when it comes to grey areas and what's not. Yang penting, tak boleh was-was. I'm not doubtful when it comes to coffeeshop drinks but I try to stay away from those who sell liquor. (There was this once when I wasn't aware but after getting my bandung, I realised the cup had a Tiger beer logo on it. Talk about being uncomfortable. I drank it anyway. But slap me if I ever do again.) (Well techincally, the cup was clean since liquor can be cleaned by just using water as it's not as 'heavy' as pork.) (But yet again, it depends on your ... iman? I mean, even if it's clean, I was still drinking from a Tiger cup.) Tsk. As for Starbucks, I don't really go there. It helps that the price is expensive for a broke student like me. And Coffee Bean is everywhere so even if I feel like burning a hole in my pocket and getting a latte, Coffee Bean is where I'll head to. In my opinion, people prefer Starbucks because of the brand name, anyway.Brainwashed!
But you know what, the most important thing is none of the things I talked about. The most important thing right now is, in fact, I am done with my Political Science essay. DONE. You hear me? I AM DONE WITH THAT SHISHA. Submitted it, uploaded it and washed my hands of it. Two more essays to go and Thursday, la liberté, baby! (Albeit temporarily, but still, you are what you make of things :)
P.s.: The ah pek's kopi isn't half bad, man. And it's only for seventy cents. Seventy cents!!
Anyway, I saw a post on FB today. Someone posted something like "To those who think that Muslims should not eat McD because it's affiliated to the Jews, then they should not use FB and Mac products as well (Google, too, actually!). To those who don't go to Starbucks because it's not halal-certifed, then they should not go to the coffeeshops and order kopi from the Chinese uncle." (Bracketed stuff belongs to me)
I can't be assed with the first part, but the second one stabbed me deep down in my kokoro, man! Guess what I was doing? I have just bought a cup of kopi from the school canteen and was sipping it as I scrolled through FB on my phone. Dayyyum. I was also reminded about my post a few months back about halal-certified products and (was that here or in heymaryam? Oh well.) look at me, sipping kopi from the Chinese ah pek. Talk about double standards!
Well, not really. I DID say I was gonna try eating things that are only properly certified but then again, it's really up to each individual to assess what's good for him when it comes to grey areas and what's not. Yang penting, tak boleh was-was. I'm not doubtful when it comes to coffeeshop drinks but I try to stay away from those who sell liquor. (There was this once when I wasn't aware but after getting my bandung, I realised the cup had a Tiger beer logo on it. Talk about being uncomfortable. I drank it anyway. But slap me if I ever do again.) (Well techincally, the cup was clean since liquor can be cleaned by just using water as it's not as 'heavy' as pork.) (But yet again, it depends on your ... iman? I mean, even if it's clean, I was still drinking from a Tiger cup.) Tsk. As for Starbucks, I don't really go there. It helps that the price is expensive for a broke student like me. And Coffee Bean is everywhere so even if I feel like burning a hole in my pocket and getting a latte, Coffee Bean is where I'll head to. In my opinion, people prefer Starbucks because of the brand name, anyway.
P.s.: The ah pek's kopi isn't half bad, man. And it's only for seventy cents. Seventy cents!!