Sem 2 Modules

The stars didn't fall today; Tuesday, February 5

I very nearly didn't get Korean 2. In the first round, I got outbidded by about 56 points. In the 2nd round, I simply didn't have enough bid points. Feeling despair, I appealed after all the rounds were over. They accepted my appeal... and proceeded to deduct an obscene amount of bid points from my account. *looks at my account forlornly* We'll see if this was worth it.

Christianity in World History is super interesting. Sure, it's history and sure, that's a whole lot of dates and sure, people with the same names, with only IV or V differentiating them. On the flipside, it's just so interesting, what with the empires and the different doctrinal and political wars. It's almost like a parallel to Islam's history. And I feel so smart after learning words ("that you won't ever use in real life", according to the professor) like ecclesiastical and coenobite. The best part of all is drawing comparisons to Islam in my head as the professor goes about it all.

Intro to Soci only started to pick up pace during the 4th lecture. It's just.. *shudders* The first and second lecture were just so boring that I started questioning myself and berated myself for not taking Econs instead. But now, the professor is starting to get into the different sociological issues. So, just gonna see how it goes, inshaAllah.

Intro to Philosophy is just flabbergasting. It's so flabbergasting that the final exam is a 2-hour paper consisting of twenty MCQ questions. That's right, ladies and gentlemen. That gives you an average of 6 minutes to pick your brain over ONE question. 6 minutes.. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. About the module itself.. it's okay, I guess. However, being an absolute philosophy philistine (let's admit it, I am not gonna pretend to be intelligent and oh-so-worldly and say that I love philosophy, that it makes me think deeply and appreciate the intricacies of the mind and its processes.......... Whatever.), I really cannot see how people can come up with (ridiculous, imo) theories. For example, there's no wrong or right, only good and bad. Seriously? At times like this, I find myself especially appreciating Islam. The Quran has outlined the rules easily, what's good and what's bad, what's wrong and what's right. I'm not belittling the works of certain philosophers (oh well now, really?). Maybe it's just that I like simplicity which doesn't make my head hurt. To each, his or her own.

Lastly, Cultures in the Contemporary World is essentially an Anthropology module, under the Sociology department. This module is pretty cool. We learn about a variety of different stuff related to cultures. For example, we learned about language the other day. Does language evolve due to culture or is it the other way around or are both independent of the other? Why are there certain words that you have in your language that cannot be easily translated to other languages? (pssst, do you know what's 'jeling' in English? This has been in my head since forever.)

So yep, a one-month late introduction to the modules that I'm taking for this semester. Hope my grades pick up! Though I'm not too sure about that after taking Philosophy.. Or Sociology. Not necessarily in that order.
01 02

"Oh, fox!"


'Kitsune' is the Japanese word for 'fox'.

Maryam, 24. *perpetually winces*

Frequently-updated blogs (hints and nudges to the others!)
Ummi Aisyah Nisya Maisurah Nabilah Aidah Sakinah Arif Humy

Sites I like. HONY Blonotes

Archive