failed scavenger
The stars didn't fall today; Friday, March 1
I've been craving for caesar salad of late. The craving was kickstarted when I saw an FB post by one of my managers back when I was working in CB. I was lolling around in bed, just waiting to fall asleep and you know those night hunger pangs? Yeah, one hit me. That combined with a CB-related post suddenly made me crave for a bowl of caesar salad, which is one of the salads they serve at CB. A bowl of that would cost me about 10 bucks if I were to order it at a CB outlet so I decided to buy the ingredients and make some for myself.
So just now I had to run some errands for my mom and I ended up in a Cold Storage outlet. To make caesar salad, you need romaine lettuce, caesar dressing (call me Ms Obvious), croutons and grated cheddar cheese. The one at CB had boiled eggs as well and you can choose to add either smoked salmon or bits of chicken. It was really, really good, I swear. So first up, I looked for romaine lettuces and yep, romaine lettuces, checked. But honestly, that was the only thing that I could check off the list. There were two kinds of croutons available, one zesty and the other original, both were from the same brand and both didn't have an official halal logo. In the whole wide, big, spacious, enormous (and oh-so-cold) supermarket, there was only one tiny column of rows dedicated to croutons. Okay fine.
Then I searched for caesar dressing. I couldn't find any at all. Okay fine.
Grated cheddar cheese up next. Okay, talking about cheese, I've only seen one kind of cheese at home and that is the KRAFT cheddar cheese, either in slices or the block ones. And another thing is that, whenever my mum makes spaghetti bolognaise, she never buys parmesan (which is what you traditionally eat spaghetti with) but she buys the block KRAFT cheddar and grates that. I didn't really care but since I'm gonna be making my own caesar salad, I don't wanna have to be bothered with graters and all that and I decided to buy the already-grated ones. Lo and behold, and at this point of time, I wasn't feeling surprised anymore, there were none with halal logo. Okay fine. (Now I know why my mum doesn't bother with the available parmesan.)
But the most disappointing of all? A ready-to eat caesar salad pack which I found. Basically, it was a pack of romaine lettuce, along with sealed packets of croutons, caesar dressing and cheddar. There wasn't any halal logo but what made it disappointing was that it was a housebrand. You know, Cold Storage's House Brand? I know I'm not supposed to assume but being a leading retailer in Singapore (a country with considerable Muslim presence), I wish it could've made the stuff halal.
Up to this point, you might've assumed me to be so anal about food being halal. I'm not. As in, I guess I am as anal as the next Muslim but I'm not anal anal, if you know what I mean. I'm just anal in the sense that when I saw monoglycerides as one of the ingredients or the croutons and it didn't specify what sort of monoglyceride, I put it back on the shelf. I'm not anal anal in the sense that if I saw a pack of cookies and the ingredients include 'emulsifier (soy lecitihin)', I'd buy it. Even without a halal logo.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Susah-susah, pergi makan kat kedai sudah tsk. And no, I don't know what sort of croutons and cheddar CB uses because they usually come in big plain plastic packs with no brands or ingredients whatsoever.
Oh wait o.O
So just now I had to run some errands for my mom and I ended up in a Cold Storage outlet. To make caesar salad, you need romaine lettuce, caesar dressing (call me Ms Obvious), croutons and grated cheddar cheese. The one at CB had boiled eggs as well and you can choose to add either smoked salmon or bits of chicken. It was really, really good, I swear. So first up, I looked for romaine lettuces and yep, romaine lettuces, checked. But honestly, that was the only thing that I could check off the list. There were two kinds of croutons available, one zesty and the other original, both were from the same brand and both didn't have an official halal logo. In the whole wide, big, spacious, enormous (and oh-so-cold) supermarket, there was only one tiny column of rows dedicated to croutons. Okay fine.
Then I searched for caesar dressing. I couldn't find any at all. Okay fine.
Grated cheddar cheese up next. Okay, talking about cheese, I've only seen one kind of cheese at home and that is the KRAFT cheddar cheese, either in slices or the block ones. And another thing is that, whenever my mum makes spaghetti bolognaise, she never buys parmesan (which is what you traditionally eat spaghetti with) but she buys the block KRAFT cheddar and grates that. I didn't really care but since I'm gonna be making my own caesar salad, I don't wanna have to be bothered with graters and all that and I decided to buy the already-grated ones. Lo and behold, and at this point of time, I wasn't feeling surprised anymore, there were none with halal logo. Okay fine. (Now I know why my mum doesn't bother with the available parmesan.)
But the most disappointing of all? A ready-to eat caesar salad pack which I found. Basically, it was a pack of romaine lettuce, along with sealed packets of croutons, caesar dressing and cheddar. There wasn't any halal logo but what made it disappointing was that it was a housebrand. You know, Cold Storage's House Brand? I know I'm not supposed to assume but being a leading retailer in Singapore (a country with considerable Muslim presence), I wish it could've made the stuff halal.
Up to this point, you might've assumed me to be so anal about food being halal. I'm not. As in, I guess I am as anal as the next Muslim but I'm not anal anal, if you know what I mean. I'm just anal in the sense that when I saw monoglycerides as one of the ingredients or the croutons and it didn't specify what sort of monoglyceride, I put it back on the shelf. I'm not anal anal in the sense that if I saw a pack of cookies and the ingredients include 'emulsifier (soy lecitihin)', I'd buy it. Even without a halal logo.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Susah-susah, pergi makan kat kedai sudah tsk. And no, I don't know what sort of croutons and cheddar CB uses because they usually come in big plain plastic packs with no brands or ingredients whatsoever.
Oh wait o.O