The Problem with SNS
The stars didn't fall today; Monday, February 10
I had been contemplating about deactivating, if not deleting, my FB account for a while now. I realised that I am doing nothing useful on that social website and my original intentions (which, succinctly put, is to just keep track that my acquaintances (friends?) are still alive) for signing up in the first place are not being realized anymore. The second because almost all of my friends/acquaintances are not active on it, having moved on to better things (waddup Twitter and Instagram). It's also become a habit for me to just click on the app to see if anybody has posted/shared/liked/commented on anything even though I had only closed the app a few seconds ago.
It's bad.
But because some of the groups I'm in (namely one actually) are actively keeping the members up to date on this particular platform, I cannot deactivate. Thus, what I have opted to do is to delete the app from my phone. Sure I can still log on to the mobile site on my phone but so far, it's been okay. It's not as instinctive anymore to log onto FB. I think I'll activate email notifications from the group above since I check my emails every day anyway.
That done, the next question is what do I do with Instagram. It's another huge distraction and I don't update much anyway. I always ask myself if the pictures I want to upload are "cool" enough, or in other words, will they get enough "likes". Like as if my entire life and/or self-worth is dependent on it /snorts/ I should just save myself the trouble, eh?