-
The stars didn't fall today; Sunday, March 16
Okay so, school has been pretty busy lately. Assignments are stacking up. What's new? It's the second half of the semester after all. What do I expect.. Heh. Anyway, like I said in my previous post, it finally rained today. Heavily so. Alhamdulillah. Miss Dira, the turquoise teacher who accompanied the turquoise alumni on our trips to Banten and Magetan, got married today! Double blessings! So I got to see my Tokkeks and #LocalTalents :)
With Nabs Nabs! We all promised to wear maroon and.. kalau tak songket, apa lagi? Haha!
Abang-abang NS yang kena balik cepat sebab nak book in. Oh my, how've they grown. Ahaha!
Miss Dira actually asked some of the #LocalTalents to be kendarat and DJ and..senang kata, first time sengaja datang orang kahwin and boria dengan kendarat haha!
I had to rush off after popping some eclairs because I had an interview scheduled with a migrant worker at Boon Keng. Met up with my classmates and my professor at about 4 and set off for the Migrant Workers Centre where my partner and I interviewed Imran, a Bangladeshi worker. It was okay, I guess but after listening to and reading about one too many depressing stories about migrant workers over the course of this particular module, the interview with Imran didn't turn up anything interesting.
Anyway, today I had a rather interesting experience where I got shocked (almost literally) into realizing that theory, as black and white as it can get, does not translate itself prettily into practice. Ironically, that's what I'm learning about in my GPE module at the moment, about theories of neoliberalism compared to actual practices of neoliberalism... Didn't think that such a globalized process can be found in my life as well. I don't want to go into much details (one friend just couldn't stop laughing at me (but seriously, aku paham haha!) while another just sighed along with me) but let's just say that a lesson has been learned and may this experience teach me to be firmer about my beliefs in the future. There can be a fine line between hablun-min Allah and hablun-min an-naas and ultimately, it's you who decide how to toe it. Far be it from us to forsake the Creator just to please His creations. Nauzubillah.
I had to rush off after popping some eclairs because I had an interview scheduled with a migrant worker at Boon Keng. Met up with my classmates and my professor at about 4 and set off for the Migrant Workers Centre where my partner and I interviewed Imran, a Bangladeshi worker. It was okay, I guess but after listening to and reading about one too many depressing stories about migrant workers over the course of this particular module, the interview with Imran didn't turn up anything interesting.
Anyway, today I had a rather interesting experience where I got shocked (almost literally) into realizing that theory, as black and white as it can get, does not translate itself prettily into practice. Ironically, that's what I'm learning about in my GPE module at the moment, about theories of neoliberalism compared to actual practices of neoliberalism... Didn't think that such a globalized process can be found in my life as well. I don't want to go into much details (one friend just couldn't stop laughing at me (but seriously, aku paham haha!) while another just sighed along with me) but let's just say that a lesson has been learned and may this experience teach me to be firmer about my beliefs in the future. There can be a fine line between hablun-min Allah and hablun-min an-naas and ultimately, it's you who decide how to toe it. Far be it from us to forsake the Creator just to please His creations. Nauzubillah.