Ujian Lisan.
The stars didn't fall today; Monday, April 28
The other day, I went to turquoise school to help with invigilation of the oral examinations. I was quite nervous as I did not think I was qualified judge others' verbal skills when I myself tend to trip over my own words. Still don't, in fact. But I did it anyway because some people thought I did qualify so hey~ I went to blue school because that's where secondary turquoise is now at and I found out that I had to invigilate the Malay oral examinations. I wasn't exactly horrified but the feeling was pretty close. I sound so 'action', right? But there's a reason why I mostly blog in English and not in Malay. Well at least it wasn't Arabic. Hah.
Anyway, I was so surprised when I saw the Sec 1 kids. I felt so OLD too. There was the kid I kinda had a grudge on when I was in Sec 4 and he was in Pri 1 and no, DON'T JUDGE ME because the reason is that once, the kid wanted to get involved in a game of after-school netball game and my friends and I found him irritating so we didn't want to pass the ball to him at all but he persisted and tried to grab at the ball when my friend threw it to me and ended up pulling at my tudung so hard until the stitching under my neck tore.
Tl;dr. Anyway, I was so pissed off at him because of that. A loose tudung is one of the biggest annoyances back then so the grudge was justified. But yeah, I ended up invigilating him and he was really nervous and I was just...YESSSSSS KARMA. Hahaha! But I graded him fairly okay! Because I'm the forgiving-but-not-forget kind. Ahahaha.
So yeah, there were other kids as well. Like the pretty girl who could read the Quran better than most people I know (yours truly included) when she was only in Primary 1 and the boy who would cry every day at the assembly court during the first few days of school and would only let himself be comforted by his older brother.
GOD. OLDDDDDD.
I'm sorry but I can't lie... The whole invigilating thing was actually boring (now I know how my teachers feel) (only one and a half class cleared all the way from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m!!!). However, there were moments where I couldn't stop smiling because I saw so much of my old self in those kids. I remember being so nervous during oral examinations especially Malay's. Admit it; Cikgu Zul was very intimidating. Besides Malay oral exam being generally terrifying, the only clear memory I have of it was once when I forgot the word 'tingkap'. I was just like 'window... window...' in my head. That was when I was in lower secondary, I think. And guess what?! One kid I invigilated forgot the exact same word! I just smiled and said "tingkap" and he had this Eureka look on his face and I just smiled stupidly throughout the whole thing.
Aside from that, seeing my teachers are always a good thing. The only weird thing is that they don't seem to age; they look exactly like they did when I was still a student. Seeing Mr E always brings good memories of athletics. (My friends have always thought it something short of amazing that I was actually dedicated to running considering my rep for being very reluctant to anything voluntary.) Mr M too always sticks to his standard question of asking me how I'm feeling for the day and if I want to talk about my feelings. I don't know if he does this to other people but he always asks me the exact same questions whenever I greet him. He would say "Hi, Mary. How are you today? Do you want to talk about your feelings?" It's kind of a running joke. I think it started in Chemistry class one day and I was zoning out when he came into class and he asked me if I was okay and if I would like to talk about my feelings. And it continued even after graduation and it definitely happened last Wednesday ("No, sir. It's been five years and I still don't want to talk about my feelings.") Haha. Also, after not having anyone call me Mary in a long while, I realised he's the only teacher who does so. Lulz.
Other than that... Thanks eh, Mr Popular. You got me hooked onto 2048. Like I'm not stressed enough because of exams right now -_-
First finals paper for the semester tomorrow and it's GPE. Everybody's just cursing out at the lecturer on the group whatsapp. Whatever. I'm just gonna blaze through it with my amazing skill of vomiting verbal poop.
Anyway, I was so surprised when I saw the Sec 1 kids. I felt so OLD too. There was the kid I kinda had a grudge on when I was in Sec 4 and he was in Pri 1 and no, DON'T JUDGE ME because the reason is that once, the kid wanted to get involved in a game of after-school netball game and my friends and I found him irritating so we didn't want to pass the ball to him at all but he persisted and tried to grab at the ball when my friend threw it to me and ended up pulling at my tudung so hard until the stitching under my neck tore.
Tl;dr. Anyway, I was so pissed off at him because of that. A loose tudung is one of the biggest annoyances back then so the grudge was justified. But yeah, I ended up invigilating him and he was really nervous and I was just...
So yeah, there were other kids as well. Like the pretty girl who could read the Quran better than most people I know (yours truly included) when she was only in Primary 1 and the boy who would cry every day at the assembly court during the first few days of school and would only let himself be comforted by his older brother.
GOD. OLDDDDDD.
I'm sorry but I can't lie... The whole invigilating thing was actually boring (now I know how my teachers feel) (only one and a half class cleared all the way from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m!!!). However, there were moments where I couldn't stop smiling because I saw so much of my old self in those kids. I remember being so nervous during oral examinations especially Malay's. Admit it; Cikgu Zul was very intimidating. Besides Malay oral exam being generally terrifying, the only clear memory I have of it was once when I forgot the word 'tingkap'. I was just like 'window... window...' in my head. That was when I was in lower secondary, I think. And guess what?! One kid I invigilated forgot the exact same word! I just smiled and said "tingkap" and he had this Eureka look on his face and I just smiled stupidly throughout the whole thing.
Aside from that, seeing my teachers are always a good thing. The only weird thing is that they don't seem to age; they look exactly like they did when I was still a student. Seeing Mr E always brings good memories of athletics. (My friends have always thought it something short of amazing that I was actually dedicated to running considering my rep for being very reluctant to anything voluntary.) Mr M too always sticks to his standard question of asking me how I'm feeling for the day and if I want to talk about my feelings. I don't know if he does this to other people but he always asks me the exact same questions whenever I greet him. He would say "Hi, Mary. How are you today? Do you want to talk about your feelings?" It's kind of a running joke. I think it started in Chemistry class one day and I was zoning out when he came into class and he asked me if I was okay and if I would like to talk about my feelings. And it continued even after graduation and it definitely happened last Wednesday ("No, sir. It's been five years and I still don't want to talk about my feelings.") Haha. Also, after not having anyone call me Mary in a long while, I realised he's the only teacher who does so. Lulz.
Other than that... Thanks eh, Mr Popular. You got me hooked onto 2048. Like I'm not stressed enough because of exams right now -_-
First finals paper for the semester tomorrow and it's GPE. Everybody's just cursing out at the lecturer on the group whatsapp. Whatever. I'm just gonna blaze through it with my amazing skill of vomiting verbal poop.