-
The stars didn't fall today; Sunday, October 26
I'm just super upset right now because my parents just took down the wind chime that I have been hanging on my window for the past year without telling me. Their reason? Wind chimes are used in other cultures to ward off evil or call the devil so they shouldn't be hanging anywhere in a Muslim house.
First of all, I never knew wind chimes were used for that purpose. My only intention hanging it up was for decoration. Second of all, that wind chime never actually made any noise. It's ceramic so it's pretty heavy. The occasional breeze that blow into my room never was strong enough to actually made the piece of clay inside hit the sides of the bell and ring. Third of all, I know it's not a very good thing but I googled all sorts of keywords and NOTHING says that wind chimes are haram. Of course if a person hangs it up with syirik intentions, then it's haram. Anyone would like to contribute to this? Fourth of all, I MADE THAT WIND CHIME. If you know me well enough, I'm not the sort to pretty things up. I'm all about function and as long as the thing doesn't look super ugly, I'm fine. But I made that wind chime in Korea. I took the risk of an overweight baggage to lug it back home. And even though it doesn't even chime when the wind blows (and that is it's only freaking job/purpose), I have just a bit of sentamentality left in me to leave it hanging there.
It's just a bell-shaped piece of clay with a clay star hanging from a string. And while I understand my parents' reason, the thing is I didn't even intend for the wind chime to call for the Satan or ward the same damned thing off. I asked for it back but I have a feeling I won't get it back again. And even if I do, I don't think I can hang it up again without getting into another uncomfortable confrontation now, can I?
You know what, I think I'm just upset that they didn't talk to me about it and instead, they just quietly took it away. I'm twenty-two. It's not about me knowing more than them or what. It's about them treating me properly for my age. You can tell me that, as parents, they have the right to do so and whatnots but whatever really. I'm just upset.