DGIT Diary II

The stars didn't fall today; Wednesday, June 24

How's your Ramadhan coming? It's been a few days in but I'm still a bit all over the place with my goals for the month. I honestly miss the Ramadhans I had when I was still going to school in a baju kurung/jubah. Dat environment tho... There's nothing like seeing your friend reading the Quran furiously during break time to start you on that Complete-The-Quran-In-30-Days Challenge yourself.. Hahaha. Anyway.

As a DGIT, I've been waking up earlier than usual to prepare for sahur. And here's my two-cents' worth: Your parents are not haranguing you to wake up for sahur because they are afraid that you will miss the opportunity to eat before Subh. They are harassing waking you up so that you can eat and finish with the rest of the family so that all of the dishes and the table can be cleared at once. Because who's the one who knows which leftover gets put back into the fridge and which gets thrown away? Because who does the dishwashing and makes sure the table is wiped down? Not you. (Well, if it is you, congrats! You got into my list of Amazing People.) Anyway, I'm not a parent but waking up my brothers for sahur is such a painful affair like.. Why am I even blogging about this and sounding like I'm 40? God.

Another thing I've learned recently is to be grateful about the food you are served with at home. A friend once griped about how she hated coming home to only a pot of sardines. At that time, I couldn't agree with her more. Sardines are nice. Sometimes. Most times, though, only a pot of sardines on the stove is more like a pot of disappointment. However, at this current age, in this situation, I couldn't disagree more. My brother commented on the food during buka puasa the other night and I just snapped back, "Makan jelah apa yang ada!" I couldn't remember feeling more sorry to my mum that I did at that point of time. It's a bit difficult to match everybody's tastes with just a couple of dishes. Whenever I feel that we've already enough dishes on the table, my mum would ask me to fry stuff like nuggets or fish because "abang/adik/abah tak makan *insert name of dish*" and I'm just like... Gosh, I'm not saying I've never been a fussy eater. My mum suffered whenever she made nasi lemak because I hated it. She would cook a different dish just so I would eat. There are a lot of things that I'd rather not eat and I'm very partial to food that I'm familiar with. It takes a lot for me to try out new food, especially those from a foreign cuisine. But you know what, I grew up. Which means I eat what I am served. If it doesn't cause an allergic reaction or make me puke because it's so gross for whatever reason, I will damn well eat whatever is served to me.

Summary: Please appreciate the food your mum cooks because she tries her hardest to please everybody's taste buds. She really does.

/end rant/

In other news, I gave up being sensitive about touching tumeric with my bare hands. I use a lot of tumeric powder at home, especially when frying fish or tempe and the colour sticks to my hand after I've finished coating the food before frying it. I was conscious about having jaundiced-like hands but then I figured out that I'm not going out a lot anyway so I ditched the plastic gloves. Haha kental seh masak pakai gloves. And that's all for today's DGIT post.
01 02

"Oh, fox!"


'Kitsune' is the Japanese word for 'fox'.

Maryam, 24. *perpetually winces*

Frequently-updated blogs (hints and nudges to the others!)
Ummi Aisyah Nisya Maisurah Nabilah Aidah Sakinah Arif Humy

Sites I like. HONY Blonotes

Archive