First time.

The stars didn't fall today; Friday, September 11

Today marks my first time as a voter in this country. Admittedly, I am not very enthusiastic about politics but I do know little bits of what's going on here and there due to social media and my very enthusiastic friends. I didn't go for any rallies though I initially planned to. My constituency is big but the fight's not heated. I told one of my enthusiastic friends which opposition party is fielding candidates in my area and he immediately got unenthusiastic and told me not to bother. However, despite the distance I keep from politics, I am aware of it and what it can do to the everyday lives of citizens, courtesy of university education. You don't get through three-and-almost-half-a-year of talking about democracy and states and human rights without it shaping your principles one way or another so in a last-minute attempt to be an educated voter, I decided to look up the opposition's manifesto and it was, at the very best...

...unimpressive. At least it wasn't totally far-fetched but it definitely left me feeling meh. Maybe it was because I didn't attend any rallies or I had not looked at other documents other than the manifesto (should they be available) but the whole time I was reading the 15-page document (so short!), I was wondering about the feasability of all they proposed. The only proposal I got very excited about was a lower COE for 2B bikes because it's ridiculous how much the COE is as it's relative to other classes and types of bikes. Lulz. Spelling mistakes aside (honestly though...), I feel that while they tried to cover as much ground as they can in their policy pledges, in doing so, they sacrificed depth and left question marks in my head. The Government and Political Reform section was more precise though which is what I guess they're most passionate about. I don't know about any other manifestos but I wish they'd put reasons why they dislike some of the current policies in place and educate people on why it shouldn't be so and try to convince voters otherwise by also saying how they are gonna make changes.

But eh, what do I know? This does make me more curious about my country's future and how it's being run though. I guess the one reason why I'm a bit apathetic is because I'm not personally feeling the negative effects of any policies. I don't take public transport regularly (although I still take the bus at times and it's never full when I'm on) and I don't plan on buying a house anytime soon. It's a very selfish view to take because I should feel more concerned about the country and the people as a whole but you can't help but feel detached when you're not affected. Hijab-issue supporters would probably be annoyed at having to call me one of their own because I'm being such an ass by wearing the hijab and yet still sitting on the fence about the issue. I don't know man.. That's a whole can of worms I'm wary of but that's only because I've yet to educate myself about it. Gotta go look at the arguments from all sides and analyse the reasons and possible consequences at all levels from governmental to the individual so.. that'll take a while.

I do wonder if there are better battles to fight though. But then again, what do I mean by better? And which identity am I using when I do so? What lines do I have to draw in order to make my voice heard? Do I really have to draw lines? Ahhhhh. Whatever it is, happy polling day, fellow citizens. And no matter the outcome, I hope you'll stay peaceful, dear country.

Yours truly,
A born-and-bred-here-yet-still-confused citizen
01 02

"Oh, fox!"


'Kitsune' is the Japanese word for 'fox'.

Maryam, 24. *perpetually winces*

Frequently-updated blogs (hints and nudges to the others!)
Ummi Aisyah Nisya Maisurah Nabilah Aidah Sakinah Arif Humy

Sites I like. HONY Blonotes

Archive