Market Minute
The stars didn't fall today; Wednesday, September 28
I decided to cook pecel (Syera once described it as the lauk version of sambal belacan) today because 1) my younger brother likes it, 2) said brother just came home yesterday from a two-week stint in Bandung courtesy of NS, and 3) it's said brother's birthday today. We didn't have the kind of fish that goes best with the lauk so I decided to go to the market.
Let it be known that I have never gone to the market on my own, much less buying fish. If I ever do go to the market, it's with my dad but he always does the Sunday marketing on his own anyway. Since the nearest market is about ten minutes away, I decided to try and have a go at it. I found the fish section and noted that half of the stalls were already closed because honestly, only a lazy arse like me would go buy fish at 11 a.m on a weekday. *snorts* I did a quick survey of the stalls opened and the fishes available and kinda stared at what I thought was ikan debam, the kind that I wanted, until the fishmonger asked me, "Yes? Mau apa?"
Throwing my pride aside (because 24 years old and I still can't distinguish fishes), I asked, "Ini ikan apa?" and he answered, "Ikan debam." Yesssssssssssss at least I was right about how an ikan debam looks like! Did an internal fist pump and bought the last five pieces (??? what's the English penjodoh bilangan for fish? Or do I just say five fishes?) of the fish for $8 which I found out was pretty cheap, once I got home. I was throwing the fish into the small basket when I realised that I don't know how to differentiate between a good fish and a bad fish but that's for another time.
Dah tu je.
Let it be known that I have never gone to the market on my own, much less buying fish. If I ever do go to the market, it's with my dad but he always does the Sunday marketing on his own anyway. Since the nearest market is about ten minutes away, I decided to try and have a go at it. I found the fish section and noted that half of the stalls were already closed because honestly, only a lazy arse like me would go buy fish at 11 a.m on a weekday. *snorts* I did a quick survey of the stalls opened and the fishes available and kinda stared at what I thought was ikan debam, the kind that I wanted, until the fishmonger asked me, "Yes? Mau apa?"
Throwing my pride aside (because 24 years old and I still can't distinguish fishes), I asked, "Ini ikan apa?" and he answered, "Ikan debam." Yesssssssssssss at least I was right about how an ikan debam looks like! Did an internal fist pump and bought the last five pieces (??? what's the English penjodoh bilangan for fish? Or do I just say five fishes?) of the fish for $8 which I found out was pretty cheap, once I got home. I was throwing the fish into the small basket when I realised that I don't know how to differentiate between a good fish and a bad fish but that's for another time.
Dah tu je.